Archive

Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, October 8, 2009

"Serious" writers writing about music, and not a poet on the list

From The Boston Globe -- "Summoning the music of their younger selves":
Uh oh, the premise of this book is to get “serious’’ authors - not entertainment critics - to write about the one album that made the deepest impact on them. That could open the door to all manner of snobbery. But fortunately that’s not the case in these highly readable, confessional pieces that focus on blockbuster acts from the Beatles, the Who, and the Jackson 5 to cultish figures Kate Bush, the Smiths, Fugazi, and Rickie Lee Jones.
Which albums make your list?

I need to think on this more, but here are five of my candidates (in no particular order). You may now commence mocking.

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years


Led Zeppelin - II
Hem - Rabbit Songs


Miles Davis - Kind of Blue


Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground

2 comments:

KRobbins said...

"White Rabbit" by Jefferison Airplane in the mid '60....I listened to it over and over wishing/dreaming I could be a hippie. Grace Slick wasn't part of the name yet!

Josh said...

And look at you now! Your dreams came true.

Did I ever send you my poem about Janis Joplin and the burned down sanctuary where we went to church? It's forthcoming in Apalachee Review, and I can send it to you if you want.